UNIT 4. PARTICLE PHYSICS
- Determine the number of neutrons and protons in nuclides.
- Describe three forms of radioactive decay and solve
- Define half-life and calculate the amount of material and its
activity remaining after a given number of half-lives.
2. The Building Blocks of Matter
- Describe the operation of particle detectors and particle
- Define antiparticles and calculate the energy of y rays
emitted when particles and their antiparticles annihilate one
- Describe the quark and lepton model of matter and explain
the role of force carriers.
3. String Theories
- Understand the quest for a Grand Unified Theory
- Learn the foundations of string theories.